Usually
the definition that I use is that we, unlike the rest of creation,
have the capacity to be creative, to plan and execute, to communicate
at a high level, and to make choices, etc. But my classmate pressed me
to apply those to an unborn baby. I argued that it is the capacity
that delineates us from animals, but that seemed an insufficient
explanation to both of us.
Then
over Christmas, my brother Jack (I believe it was him, I had a
plethora of conversations with my siblings, so I can't be sure :P)
and I began talking about mirroring the image of God. Comparing
ourselves to a mirror is nothing new, of course. But what got me was
that the reason we can reflect God is because we are spiritual
beings, unlike the animals. In a way, it is
about
capacity. Yet we are separated from exercising this ability fully,
like one of those crazy mirrors that skews the image drastically. .
.the image is still there, but isn't accurate. The beauty of the
gospel is that Christ once again made it possible for us to reflect
God undistorted.
I
later included in my customary written prayers:
The
idea of the mirror as the image of God really changed my definition.
That because we are the only spiritual beings here on earth, we are
the only things capable of reflecting you. How marvelous!
And
it really is marvelous, isn't it? The implications are dazzlingly
pervasive in the way we view each other and view ourselves. For
instance, it is what allows me to acknowledge my strengths and those
of others without usurping God of his glory – indeed, exactly the
opposite!
~
~ ~
We
are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to
prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing
away. But their minds were made dull, for to this day the
same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not
been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to
this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever
anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord
is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is
freedom. And we all, who with unveiled
faces reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his
image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who
is the Spirit. 2 Cor 3:13-18

I am always so careful to give God all the credit, and when anyone compliments me my heart immediately shrinks away. I think "oh no, I'm nothing, GOD is something though." I see this as false humility. To be humble is not to think less of oneself, but to think of oneself less. And when I am thinking of how low I am, I am still thinking of myself more.
ReplyDeleteThere are some really good observations here. The topic subjects remind me a little bit of a story once turned into a rock opera ( http://www.trans-siberian.com/lyrics_story/lost_xmas_eve_story.php ).
ReplyDeleteI think that one of the challenges in approaching the idea of being "made in the image of God" is that there are so many possible facets to it! (You've covered one of them above!) My own perspective when thinking of "image" has often been to imagine it more as a position of human dignity rather than inherent ability. For example, a prince/princess would still be heir to the dignity (and responsibilities) of the crown regardless of age, development, or even if due to some unfortunate lack of cognitive ability a regent must manage affairs in the heir's place. It's switching gears from the topic a little, but sometimes I feel like the idea of "image" correlates with verses like Matthew 25:34-46, 1 John 4:20, and even to some extent Psalm 51:4; in the way that thinking about how "For God so loved the world . . ." when we share with Him in His love, compassion, and care for people in this world, we are also loving Him, himself. Though, since that thought must also be balanced by the consideration that we ourselves were created to direct people around us to a love of Him, by reflecting His love to them with ourselves being a (clouded, unfortunately) "image," I find it a bit challenging to articulate the ideas coherently since the same word can be used with so many different perspectives all at the same time... ^_^; Thanks for posting such an interesting subject!